A pillar of financial planning is the understanding that everyone's economic and life situation is unique. Whether your financial goals are long term such as saving for a secure retirement, funding a child's education, or generating a monthly income in retirement for travel and future healthcare costs, or short term such as analyzing your monthly cash flow to determine where extra money is to fund those long term goals, creating a debt elimination plan, or simply to save for a vacation, you are right for us. Based on realistic assumptions about future investment returns, our financial planning software estimates the probability of successfully meeting your goals. Financial planning is not done in a vacuum, and changes will occur. That is why we will continue to monitor your progress and situation to make adjustments as they arise.
THE FINANCIAL PLANNING PROCESS
1. Establish and define the roles that myself (planner), and you (client) will play in the planning relationship.
2. We will then work together compiling and gathering data including identifying all of your unique financial goals, and ranking the importance of each.
3. Identify the resources that will help fund your goals, such as your current income, investment accounts, employer retirement plans, and other sources of income such as rental property. During this process we also determine the amount of risk and return that is right for you.
4. Develop your personalized financial plan including presenting alternative options.
5. Work together to Implement your action items, such as a savings plan, debt repayment plan, or investment plan.
6. Ongoing monitoring of your plan through monthly check-ins, and ongoing plan updates.
WHAT WE BRING TO OUR FINANCIAL PLANNING RELATIONSHIP
Organization. We will help bring order to your financial life, by assisting you in getting your financial house in order (at both the “macro” level of investments, insurance, estate, taxes, etc., and also the “micro” level of household cash flow).
Accountability. We will help you follow through on financial commitments, by working with you to prioritize your goals, show you the steps you need to take, and regularly review your progress towards achieving them.
Objectivity. We bring insight from the outside to help you avoid emotionally driven decisions in important money matters, by being available to consult with you at key moments of decision-making, doing the research necessary to ensure you have all the information, and managing and disclosing any of our own potential conflicts of interest.
Proactivity. We work with you to anticipate your life transitions and to be financially prepared for them, by regularly assessing any potential life transitions that might be coming, and creating the action plan necessary to address and manage them ahead of time.
Education. We will explore what specific knowledge will be needed to succeed in your situation, by first thoroughly understanding your situation, then providing the necessary resources to facilitate your decisions, and explaining the options and risks associated with each choice.
Partnership. We attempt to help you achieve the best life possible but will work in concert with you, not just for you, to make this possible, by taking the time to clearly understand your background, philosophy, needs and objectives, work collaboratively with you and on your behalf (with your permission), and offer transparency around our own costs and compensation.
Source: Moving from ROI to ROL, Mitch Anthony